Re: using autoconf with ppuxlc++,spuxlc++

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: using autoconf with ppuxlc++,spuxlc++
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 17:18:59 -0600

[adding automake, replies can drop autoconf]

On 10/26/2010 04:31 PM, John Wohlbier wrote:
I searched the mailing list archives for this question and only found one
message containing ppuxlc which didn't answer my question.

We're trying to use autoconf in a hybrid environment that includes the
CellBE. I have a configure.ac for the CellBE PPE core and one for the SPE
core. I also have some macros for setting up the compilers and their flags
since it appears that AC_PROG_CC and AC_PROG_CXX do not support these
compilers. I have what I feel are valid compiler flags for, in this case,
ppuxlc++. However, I think I have a problem with the interaction of
autoconf/libtool and cannot get my sources to compile. Below is what I see
on output.

To try and narrow down on the error "ppuxlc++: 1501-208 (S) command option D
is missing a subargument" I went through by hand and removed all of the -D
arguments, and it still failed. Finally, I removed the -MD argument and it
"compiles." Unfortunately I don't know enough about autoconf/libtool to know
what the -MD -MP -MF arguments are or where they come from. Can anyone
provide any hints or suggestions on how to figure out what is going on?

They are used by makefile dependency tracking rules, which is under Automake's domain (the depcomp script, as well as automake rules run at configure time to determine which style of compiler dependency to request of the depcomp script).

Thanks. (Sorry if this is more appropriate for the libtool list, but I just
don't know and didn't think it was appropriate to cross post.)

Actually, you'll probably have better luck on the automake list, since autoconf itself does not touch any -M option.

--
Eric Blake   address@hidden    +1-801-349-2682