Re: Using -MMD instead of -MD for depndency generation

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Using -MMD instead of -MD for depndency generation
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2010 05:05:56 +0900

Paul Smith <address@hidden> writes:
> As for why 3.82 is slower, unfortunately I'm having problems figuring it
> out.  I compiled with gprof but the cumulative profiled code in GNU make
> only took 6 seconds or so, so I suppose the other 24 seconds must be in
> libc or someplace... but trying to install a profile-enabled version of
> libc on my system did not succeed (or rather the package install worked
> but linking with the profiled libc did not work).

The "prof" program distributed with recent linux kernels is extremely
useful too -- it's much easier and less intrusive to use than gprof in
many cases.

[The annoyance is that it's still not packaged in debian for whatever
reason... you can fetch the linux sources and just build in the "prof"
directory, but you need to make sure the source versions match the your
kernel you're using, since the kernel interfaces have changed around at
various points.]

-Miles

--
"Suppose He doesn't give a shit?  Suppose there is a God but He
just doesn't give a shit?"  [George Carlin]