execvp: /bin/sh: Argument list too long

From: Pippijn van Steenhoven
Subject: execvp: /bin/sh: Argument list too long
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 16:55:45 +0100

Hi,

I looked through the mailing list archives and found several questions
and proposed solutions related to this problem:

  - Split up file lists so several rules are generated:
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake/2004-11/msg00106.html

  - "What is your env's size?"
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake/2009-08/msg00027.html

  - It will fail. In other words "Sorry, can't fix"?
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake/2007-02/msg00013.html

My problem is that I can not make dist in one project and not make check
in another project. Both have a large number of tests. The one where make
check fails has a few more tests, but make dist will fail there, as well.

What are the plans on fixing this? Are there any? Autoconf already checks
for the maximum argument length, but since by that time, Makefile.in is
already generated, it can't help. Maybe storing the list of dist files
and check files in a different file and reading this with xargs < $file
would help.

Any other ideas?

--
Pippijn van Steenhoven