Re: execvp: /bin/sh: Argument list too long

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: execvp: /bin/sh: Argument list too long
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 10:37:24 -0700

Pippijn van Steenhoven wrote:
> I am root on my (Linux) system and I set the stack size to unlimited. The
> libtool macro reported a few billion (or something other really large)
> for maximum argument list length, bash also agreed (it easily executed
> the "distdir" target when copied into a bash script), but make doesn't.
> Both gnu make and pmake abort with the "too long" message.

What Linux kernel version are you using?  Note that linux-2.6.23 and
later kernels have changed how this is handled.

  http://www.in-ulm.de/~mascheck/various/argmax/

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=b6a2fea39318e43fee84fa7b0b90d68bed92d2ba

  http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/faq/#Argument-list-too-long

Bob