Re: execvp: /bin/sh: Argument list too long

From: Pippijn van Steenhoven
Subject: Re: execvp: /bin/sh: Argument list too long
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 18:54:29 +0100

On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 10:37:24AM -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Pippijn van Steenhoven wrote:
> > I am root on my (Linux) system and I set the stack size to unlimited. The
> > libtool macro reported a few billion (or something other really large)
> > for maximum argument list length, bash also agreed (it easily executed
> > the "distdir" target when copied into a bash script), but make doesn't.
> > Both gnu make and pmake abort with the "too long" message.
>
> What Linux kernel version are you using?  Note that linux-2.6.23 and
> later kernels have changed how this is handled.

I'm using a new enough kernel. Like I said, copy/pasting the lines
executed by "make distdir" into a shell script and executing that works
fine, it's just in make that it doesn't work. To be more explicit:

  http://paste.xinu.at/WzKP/ works (shell script)
  http://paste.xinu.at/h7kj/ does not work (makefile)

max_cmd_len is 3458764513820540925, which should suffice. It's just that
linux still has a 128K per-argument limit, which is apparently what
chokes make.

--
Pippijn van Steenhoven