Re: ACLOCAL best practice

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: ACLOCAL best practice
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 02:17:48 +0100

On Saturday 13 November 2010, Ryan Lortie wrote:
> Hello,
Hello Ryan.

Just a quick partial reply ...

> [CUT]
> In my opinion, this is an argument for why ACLOCAL_FLAGS
> (or at least some ACLOCAL_PATH environment variable)
Supporting ACLOCAL_PATH is a good idea IMO -- and the nice thing about it is
that there's already a patch (currently under reviewed) implementing it:
 <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake-patches/2010-11/msg00089.html>
It will probably be included in the next automake version (1.12).

> environment variable is a good idea; anything that
> avoids also specifying the name of the binary at the same time.  I think
> this ought to be supported in an official way within the autotools.

> I'm willing to write a patch if people believe it to be a good idea.
If ACLOCAL_PATH is enough for your needs, that shouldn't be necessary,
since someone else has alredy done the work (kudos to Paolo Bonzini).

HTH,
  Stefano