Re: Is that a way to modify tar.m4?

From: xufeng zhang
Subject: Re: Is that a way to modify tar.m4?
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 18:39:26 +0800

On 11/26/2010 06:25 PM, Stefano Lattarini wrote:
On Friday 26 November 2010, Dave Hart wrote:
On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 2:23 AM, Dave Hart<address@hidden>  wrote:
1.  Unpack tar
2.  configure
3.  make

Assuming success so far, then proceed to:

4.  patch
Sorry, since you are modifying a .m4:

5.  autoreconf
6.  configure
7.  make

If you're using GNU make, a simple "make" should suffice.  Yes,
even when you're modifying a .m4 file.

You may be able to skip autoreconf, I'm not sure.

In fact, you shouldn't use autoreconf within the Automake source tree,
and that's because automake's own build system can use some features
that are present only in the developement version of automake and
aclocal (and autoreconf uses installed versions of those tools by
default).  If you need a clean rebuild, you should use the `bootstrap'
script that comes with the automake distribution.
This is the idiom I myself use when in need of a clean rebuild:
   $ ./bootstrap
   $ eval "./configure $(./config.status --config)"
   $ make all
Thank you, Stefano, the problem has been temporarily resolved.

Thanks,
Xufeng Zhang
HTH,
   Stefano