Re: Is that a way to modify tar.m4?

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: Is that a way to modify tar.m4?
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 11:37:55 +0100

On Friday 26 November 2010, xufeng zhang wrote:
> On 11/26/2010 06:39 AM, Stefano Lattarini wrote:
>
> > Just a hunch: have you built the automake and aclocal scripts *before*
> > modifying tar.m4?  If you haven't, well, you should build them first,
> > because the Automake build system uses the very automake and aclocal
> > scripts it ships, so you must be sure to build them before hacking any
> > other part of automake.
> >
> Oh, I miss something, the point is automake can't create aclocal after
> modify tar.m4,

More or less; the point is that the Makefile, in order to rebuild
aclocal.m4, wants to use the very version of the aclocal script
provided by the automake tarball you're using; but since you haven't
build that script yet (by running ./configure && make after unpacking
the tarball), the rebuilding of aclocal.m4 fails.

> but if aclocal file exist and then modify tar.m4,
> automake compile can be successful.

Yes, that was my point (sorry if I didn't manage to make that clear
enough).  As Dave pointed out in a previous mail, you should:

 1.  Unpack tar
 2.  configure
 3.  make  # this will build ./aclocal and ./automake

 Assuming success so far, then proceed to:

 4.  patch tar.m4
 5.  make  # this will use the ./aclocal and ./automake build previously

Regards,
  Stefano