Re: Any way to get rid of -MP parameter to gcc for dependency creation?

From: Xan Lopez
Subject: Re: Any way to get rid of -MP parameter to gcc for dependency creation?
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 14:46:55 +0100

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 2:21 PM, Xan Lopez <address@hidden> wrote:

> Without the local hack to get rid of the -MP flag a null-build with
> that version of GNU make is ~40s. CVS HEAD gives ~26s (wow!), and CVS
> HEAD with the "get rid of -MP" hack gives ~14s. So definitely there's
> been a big improvement in Make in the last year, thanks for pointing
> that out. It still seems worth to try to improve the -MP case though,
> 26 > 14 is a big win.

One last data point. In the best case I've got so far (14s), time tells me:

make  8.27s user 5.86s system 99% cpu 14.264 total

If I'm right this means I've moved from having the vast majority of
the time in user CPU time to a 60/40 split, which I guess means by now
we are spending a lot of time stating files (?).

Xan