High-Precision NFS Timestamps

From: Eric Reischer
Subject: High-Precision NFS Timestamps
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 17:08:26 -0500

I recently upgraded our NFS fileserver to an ext4 filesystem, and since then we've been having clock skew warnings from make (3.81). Because the ext3 filesystem that was previously running on the NFS server didn't support high-precision timestamps, we didn't have clock skew warnings because an hourly cron job kept the clocks in relatively close sync. However, since ext4 does support sub-second timestamps, we're getting warnings about clock skews on the order of a few milliseconds. I tried adding our target objects to the .LOW_RESOLUTION_TIME target, however now we're getting a warning about

make: *** Warning: .LOW_RESOLUTION_TIME file .lib_deps has a high resolution time stamp
make:  warning: Clock skew detected.  Your build may be incomplete.

Since asking to have system clocks of NFS clients and servers synced to sub-millisecond precision is a bit excessive, is there a way (or feature request: could there be a way) to set the threshold for clock skews either via a runtime Makefile directive, or an environment variable? I can't see any other way to eliminate these warnings without reverting back to ext3 (which isn't happening). If it's a hard-coded value, there should be at least a little room for slop in there (~5 milliseconds?) due to network lag, etc. Even on a point-to-point network, there's going to be one-way transit times of a millisecond or two.

Cheers