Re: [CRAZY PROPOSAL] Automake should support only GNU make

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: [CRAZY PROPOSAL] Automake should support only GNU make
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 20:29:42 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011, Stefano Lattarini wrote:

Those you list above are very good *practical* reasons not to use quagmire
(and the very fact that it took me 3 minutes to find that page with google
was IMHO already a clear indicator that the project is dead in practice).

The "answer" I was speaking about would have been concerned with why I think
that the quagmire *design* and *roadmap* are broken (even ignoring its "less
than excellent" developement status).

We should give Quagmire some respect since it is written by the original author of Automake, who did quite a good job with Automake. It is wrong to think that lack of popularity means that the software is not in effective use somewhere or is woefully incompete. Only analysis or real-world testing can show how effective the package is. However, it is not Automake.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn