Re: [CRAZY PROPOSAL] Automake should support only GNU make

From: Steffen Dettmer
Subject: Re: [CRAZY PROPOSAL] Automake should support only GNU make
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 13:02:08 +0100

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 10:36 PM, <address@hidden> wrote:
>  - I think that keeping configuration and build steps separated is
>   a very good idea.

Do you mean this is a good idea in the context of todays systems
- or -
Do you mean this is good idea in general and could be a design
criteria for future build environments?

I think I agree to the first (mostly because I assume if the
autotools developers and experts separate those steps, they do it
for a good reason), but I don't understand my this could be a
requirement in future systems.

Wouldn't it be great to type "make" which automatically knows by
depedencies that some configuration rules have to be executed
(i.e. to determine facts about the environment if they are not
available in form of small .h files or alike)?

If, for example, Makefiles would have rules to check for the
libraries as soon as needed etc, wouldn't this be good? Tests
that are not needed for the configuration to be built would not
even be executed (saving time).

What important points did I miss in my consideration?

oki,

Steffen