Re: [CRAZY PROPOSAL] Automake should support only GNU make

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: [CRAZY PROPOSAL] Automake should support only GNU make
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 12:50:08 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011, Guido Draheim wrote:
* ClearCase - ships clearmake integrated with the build systems.
and there are sure some other build systems that have a frontend to
the user allowing for makefiles as the backend.

FYI, ClearCase's clearmake is actually based on GNU make source code. At least it was back when I was using it.

ClearCase is an example of a build system which does produce a build 'inventory' recording exactly how the target was built. It accomplishes that by studying the I/O requests from the build tools.

Regardless, 'make's use of timestamps based on simple "newer than" analsys is not very robust in our real world. A build system which at least records the absolute time stamps (and preferably a checksum) for everything used to build a built target is much more capable of knowing what needs to be rebuilt if something is changed. If a source file becomes "older" and its content has changed, then anything depending on it needs to be rebuilt (which existing make will not do). If the source file somehow becomes "older" but its content has not changed, then the associated timestamp in the build inventory can be updated and nothing needs to be rebuilt. In this case, the timestamp is simply an optimization.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn