Re: [CRAZY PROPOSAL] Automake should support only GNU make

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: Re: [CRAZY PROPOSAL] Automake should support only GNU make
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 20:41:18 +0100

Am 13.01.2011 19:50, schrieb Bob Friesenhahn:
> On Thu, 13 Jan 2011, Guido Draheim wrote:
>> * ClearCase - ships clearmake integrated with the build systems.
>> and there are sure some other build systems that have a frontend to
>> the user allowing for makefiles as the backend.
>
> FYI, ClearCase's clearmake is actually based on GNU make source code. At
> least it was back when I was using it.

Well, I had years to study the differences and there are many. What you
do think of is "-C gnu" which disables any GNU-incompatible features, it
defines some GNU-Make compatible default-rules and understands some more
GNU-Make-like options. But I would think clearmake is GNU-make based.
Sure however I do not know how the "gnu emulation" is implemented :-/