Re: [CRAZY PROPOSAL] Automake should support only GNU make

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: [CRAZY PROPOSAL] Automake should support only GNU make
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 19:39:53 +0100

Hi Bob,

* Bob Friesenhahn wrote on Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 04:04:35PM CET:
> In addition to the above, Automake should be supplying enough explicit rule
> information (pertaining to the actual needs of the current project) that the
> underlying build tool should not have to go off in the weeds and try a
> million other incantations as well.

I don't think Automake needs to bother with the difference of alpha or
beta build systems at all until we get to the point where somebody
proposes that Automake also output rules suitable for a suitable beta
build system.  Or, and that is what I would prefer, somebody implements
a beta build system that parses, as much as possible, Posix or GNU
makefiles.  Because then Automake wouldn't have to change anything.  :-)