Re: creating a report that displays what has been installed

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: creating a report that displays what has been installed
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 12:48:25 -0800

On 02/03/11 11:46, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> Hello Vincent,
>
> * Vincent Torri wrote on Thu, Feb 03, 2011 at 04:32:36PM CET:
>> I'm trying to improve the autotools of he openjpeg project. The lead dev
>> wants me to display in the terminal what has been installed.

>> Is there a smarter way to do this ?
>
> Hmm.  Even what you suggest isn't easy to do, at least not portably.
>
> Here's a fairly expensive way to list those files; it depends on DESTDIR
> support, and assumes you do not have a file or directory ./DEST:

That _is_ expensive, but it works.  Since the project likely has
a fairly stable installation directory, good ol' grep-n-sed ought
to be fairly simple.  Just capture the output (with "tee" if you
want to see it "live") and extract what you need.

All-in-all, staging the installation to a DESTDIR and *then* tarring
it into place is not a bad thing to do anyway.  That makes the
 cd ${DESTDIR};find * -type f
thing less wasteful.

P.S. in researching this, I found in my own logs a bunch of these:
>       rm -rf $backupdir; exit $rc
> mkdir: cannot create directory `.am21666': Permission denied
> make[3]: Leaving directory
> `/old-home/bkorb/ag/ag/autogen-5.11.6pre21/_build/doc'

It all has to do with backup directories for texi stuff.
Only happens in "make distcheck".  Seems to be innocuous,
but it is disconcerting.