Non-recursive automake vs. gettext

From: John Darrington
Subject: Non-recursive automake vs. gettext
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 18:56:20 +0000

Hi Ralf and others,

I like to use a non-recursive makefile structure for my projects.  However, if
the project also uses gettext, I end up having to constantly fight against both
gettext and auto{conf,make}.

If AM_GNU_GETTEXT appears in the configure.ac file, then automake refuses to
run, but gives the error:

 configure.ac:336: required file `po/Makefile.in' not found
 Makefile.am:5: AM_GNU_GETTEXT used but `po' not in SUBDIRS

There are ways to circumvent this of course.  But I think that automake should
not do this if  subdir-options is specified in AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS

Regards,

John

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3