Re: Non-recursive automake vs. gettext

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Non-recursive automake vs. gettext
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 22:31:57 +0100

Hi John,

* John Darrington wrote on Wed, Feb 09, 2011 at 07:56:20PM CET:
> I like to use a non-recursive makefile structure for my projects.
> However, if the project also uses gettext, I end up having to
> constantly fight against both gettext and auto{conf,make}.
>
> If AM_GNU_GETTEXT appears in the configure.ac file, then automake
> refuses to run, but gives the error:
>
>  configure.ac:336: required file `po/Makefile.in' not found
>  Makefile.am:5: AM_GNU_GETTEXT used but `po' not in SUBDIRS
>
> There are ways to circumvent this of course.  But I think that
> automake should not do this if  subdir-options is specified in
> AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS

Agreed.

It might be worth fixing this.  Even better would be if we got around to
implementing Bruno's proposal to move gettext's configury stuff to
Automake (as documented and tested in the pot-primary git branch).
That could fix this, and at the same time make several other issues go
away.

If somebody wants to beat me on this, I'd be delighted.

Thanks for the bug report,