Re: turning off dependency tracking when building fat binaries on Mac OS

From: Peter Johansson
Subject: Re: turning off dependency tracking when building fat binaries on Mac OSX
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 21:22:06 -0500

Hi Ralf,

On 2/13/11 3:32 AM, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
Yep.  I think that was one reason we explicitly documented the thing in
INSTALL.  With this configuration, your preprocessor will be wrong
(because CFLAGS are not passed to it) which means macro values may be
computed wrongly.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean here.

Do you suggest there is a difference between

./configure CFLAGS="-arch i386 -arch x86_64" LDFLAGS="-arch i386 -arch x86_64"

and

./configure CC="-arch i386 -arch x86_64" CPP="gcc -E"

Can you please explain. AFAICS, in both cases compilation and linking will occur with multiple archs but preprocessing will occur with a simple "gcc -E"
That doesn't mean we should break automake dependency tracking in this
configuration, but it does mean you shouldn't do it when it hurts.  ;-)

Sorry, but this is probably too many negations for me. Can you please explain.

You need to explicitly turn off dependency tracking. My question is
simply is there a good reason why automake does not turn off the
dependency tracking automagically in this case, or should I consider
it a missing feature.
I suppose I'll accept a patch that enhances automake/m4/depend.m4 to
address this.  Are you motivated?

Yes, I'm motivated. I've got some more time for free software so I think I could whip up a quick patch with the behavior I expect...

Cheers,
Peter