Re: debbugs, and a FAQ, for Autotools

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: debbugs, and a FAQ, for Autotools
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 20:55:46 +0100

Hello Ralf,

* Ralf Hemmecke wrote on Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 10:30:21PM CET:
> I'm just reading the current FAQ under
>
> 1.3 Where can I get the latest versions of these tools?
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/faq/autotools-faq.html#Where-can-I-get-the-latest-versions-of-these-tools_003f
>
> Wouldn't it be useful to give a little script that installs
> know-good combinations (the latest version?) of all the autotools
> components in the users (developers) HOME?
>
> You probably can do
>
> https://github.com/hemmecke/flint2/blob/autotools/autotools.mk
>
> better than me, but it might be a first start.

Well,
http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/faq/autotools-faq.html#How-do-I-install-the-Autotools-_0028as-user_0029_003f
is not as cool as your version, but provides roughly the same
functionality AFAICS.

I think either of these two improvements would be nice:

- having a list of known-good combinations of tool versions; having
  tested them extensively would be great, otherwise we might at least
  document some sort of minimal-version-requirement-table.
- a change that lets the script automatically install the most recent
  stable releases of each tool.