Re: Automake GSoC idea

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Automake GSoC idea
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 06:43:30 +0100

[ adding the SoC list back in Cc: ]

Hello,

* Daniel Herring wrote on Wed, Mar 09, 2011 at 08:06:45AM CET:
> Refactor Automake so it can easily be extended for new file types.

Yes, this is a good idea, too.  Actually, there is a pending patch from
Valentin that does an important first step in this area; I wasn't sure
whether he'd pick up work on this again eventually.  Valentin?

> Examples:
> - Qt preprocessed files (e.g. moc and linguist generate sources to link)
> - IDL files (may generate headers and several sources to link)
> - NVidia's CUDA

Yep.  Actually, we even have proposed patches for QT and three for CUDA.
The QT ones would need some love (more importantly, review), none of the
CUDA ones can go in because of copyright assignment issues.  :-(

> P.S.  I'm employed, but not with enough free time to mentor this.  I
> could help by providing case studies of tasks that aren't easy with
> automake.

Unfortunately, I still lack final confirmation that I can be mentor for
this.  In the case that I can't, we'd still need somebody for this role.
Eric has agreed to be my backup mentor.