Re: PKG_CHECK_MODULES on system without pkg-config installed?

From: Daniel Herring
Subject: Re: PKG_CHECK_MODULES on system without pkg-config installed?
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 01:34:27 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

* Roger Leigh wrote on Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 01:03:16PM CET:
This is not meant to sound like a troll, but: is anyone really
*really* using static linking in 2011?

I'd love to answer no, but at least parts of the HPC crowd will do
almost anything to get a couple percent more performance out of their
code plus libraries.  Static linking is a real low-hanging fruit there.

Static linking is also nice for self-contained executables.

All sorts of benefits including ease of distribution and not worrying about libraries crossing when old versions are kept for testing.

I've worked on several projects where we've intentionally reverted to static linking for such reasons. They were medium-sized codebases with several libraries and executables, generally deployed to a couple dozen machines.

One project in particular required that we keep all deployed versions in working order on a test server for easy use. Speed and space weren't issues. Simple correctness was.

- Daniel

P.S. pkg-config suffers many of the same issues as imake, but in generally less bad ways. I often need details not forseen by the pkg-config writer, and it is frustrating trying to keep multiple pkg-config environments for similar but different builds.