Re: aclocal only picking up /usr/local/share and not /usr/share

From: Peter Johansson
Subject: Re: aclocal only picking up /usr/local/share and not /usr/share
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 18:30:31 -0400

[removing automake-patches]

On 3/17/11 10:39 AM, Maynard Johnson wrote:

you aclocal calls.  Also, in the next automake release, aclocal
will probably support a new 'ACLOCAL_PATH' environment variable
that would help solving this kind of problems
Well, you could always resort to adding proper `-I' option to
Except this happens when building a 3rd party package. Yes, I have the source for that package, and, in fact, the first fix I did was to update it's autogen.sh (where aclocal is called) to add '-I /usr/share/aclocal'. But that didn't seem like the right way to go either for the general case (i.e., I don't think that's an appropriate fix to contribute back to the package maintainer). I think the best I can do is to suggest an FAQ on that package's web site that documents the error and the solution.

I always copy third party m4 files to directory $(top_srcdir)/m4 and add
AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR([m4])
in configure.ac and
ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS = -I m4
in top Makefile.am. In that way there is never any problem for aclocal to find the files. Even if a new co-developer checks out a new copy from VCS he will have no problem but can just run
./bootstrap
./configure...

without even knowing what aclocal or it each path is.

I read the Automake manual
http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#Local-Macros
as that is the recommended way to set up things.

Cheers,
Peter