Re: Do convenience libraries propagate -R linker flags?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Do convenience libraries propagate -R linker flags?
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 23:36:49 +0100

Hello Rhys,

* Rhys Ulerich wrote on Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 05:34:04PM CET:
> I've got a convenience library where the LDFLAGS includes -R:
>     noinst_LTLIBRARIES = libsomething.la
>     libsomething_la_LDFLAGS = -Rsomewhere
> and I indeed see "-Rsomewhere" appear within libsomething.la's dependency_libs
> line the way I expect.
>
> In another directory, I build a program depending on libsomething.la
>     bin_PROGRAMS = myprog
>     myprog_LDADD = ../lib/libsomething.la
> and then issue 'make install' to install it.
>
> After installation, I'm not seeing '-Rsomething' appear within the installed
> binary's rpath according to 'readelf -d myprog'. 'ldd myprog' issued after
> emptying my LD_LIBRARY_PATH confirms that -Rsomething isn't present.
>
> Should I expect -R flags provided at convenience library creation time to be
> propagated to an installed binary which uses that convenience library?  If
> not, I'll stop trying.  If so, I'll see if I can get a recreate for what
> I'm observing.

I think they are not propagated currently for convenience archives.  As
to whether they should, I'm not sure.  I remember that this has been
reported before.  I also remember that the issue has not been entirely
noncontroversial.

Somebody would have to dig in mailing list and commit history (of the
Libtool project) to find out for sure.