Re: [GSoC Proposal] automake - Interfacing with a test protocol like TAP

From: Daniel Herring
Subject: Re: [GSoC Proposal] automake - Interfacing with a test protocol like TAP or subunit
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 13:21:14 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
Or add a subunit parser and a quick tap2subunit perl module today
and have the best of both worlds?  (This is meant as an honest question,
even if it looks like a rhetoric one.)

I think that's a good approach. I don't really use either framework, but when somebody pointed me to TAP a while back and I read the protocol ... I came away unimpressed. The subunit protocol does seem a bit better layed out.

My impression is that TAP is a strict subset of subunit. The only reason to favor TAP is if it has better or more portable tools for consuming the data. Both protocols can be generated with equal ease (assuming the common subset is used).

Would it be possible for subunit to drop binary data into local files and report their paths rather than embed the data in the stream?

- Daniel