Re: GSoC project idea: non-recursive automake project

From: Nick Bowler
Subject: Re: GSoC project idea: non-recursive automake project
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 10:51:23 -0400

On 2011-03-22 07:36 -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> Nick Bowler <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >   * Modify gnulib so that it can be easily integrated into a
> >     non-recursive automake setup.  One could look to libltdl for
> >     inspiration here.
>
> It doesn't have to be modified.  An Automake setup can easily and
> usefully contain a mix of recursive and non-recursive subdirectories.

Sorry, I meant integrated in a manner such that the gnulib bits are
built non-recursively.

While you can of course use a recursive make to build gnulib, you still
tend to be left with the usual problems that plague recursive builds:
specifically that dependencies between the subtrees using separate
makefiles tend to be incomplete, resulting in reduced concurrency
and/or incorrect builds.  A recursively-built gnulib is no exception
here.

--
Nick Bowler, Elliptic Technologies (http://www.elliptictech.com/)