Re: Question about automake fails to pass the correct parameters to pax

From: Kumar Gala
Subject: Re: Question about automake fails to pass the correct parameters to pax when using large UID/GID
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 22:44:21 -0500

Ralf,

I'm running into the same issue reported:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake/2010-10/msg00063.html

I was wondering if automake could do things a little differently to deal with
this issue more graceful:

Today we have something like the following in configure:

  pax)
    am__tar='pax -L -x ustar -w "$$tardir"'
    am__tar_='pax -L -x ustar -w "$tardir"'
    am__untar='pax -r'
    ;;

If we change am__untar to:

   am__untar='pax -r -O'

We go from pax wanting interactive input:

address@hidden QorIQ_SDK_20110311_systembuilder]$ pax -r  < conftest.tar
pax: Cannot identify format. Searching...
pax: End of archive volume 1 reached

ATTENTION! pax archive volume change required.
Ready for archive volume: 1
Input archive name or "." to quit pax.
Archive name >

address@hidden QorIQ_SDK_20110311_systembuilder]$ pax -r -O < conftest.tar
pax: Cannot identify format. Searching...
pax: End of archive volume 1 reached
pax: Sorry, unable to determine archive format.
address@hidden QorIQ_SDK_20110311_systembuilder]$ echo $?
1

thoughts?

- k