Re: Removing Mac OS X resource forks from distribution tarballs

From: Dave Hart
Subject: Re: Removing Mac OS X resource forks from distribution tarballs
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 21:06:02 +0000

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 20:55 UTC, Adam Mercer <address@hidden> wrote:
> I thought of something like that but the problem is that these files
> only show up on file systems that don't support OS X resource forks,
> such as ext3, and as I build the tarballs on OS X they won't show up
> as individual. I've been looking for some code to identify which files
> have resource forks but the examples don't seem to work... I'll ask on
> a more specific OSX development list.

Right, one approach would be to run a dist-hook which strips all
resource forks from distdir files.

An equally effective approach which Automake could potentially handle
generally on Darwin would be to instruct tar to ignore resource forks
when creating the tar file.  Or, if Darwin's tar can't do that but can
extract resource forks as if your filesystem didn't support them,
Automake could round-trip to remove them on Darwin (tar, extract with
resource forks named ._filename, find | xargs to rm the ._* files, tar
again).

Cheers,
Dave Hart