A way to specify a host CC during cross compile?

From: Martin Hicks
Subject: A way to specify a host CC during cross compile?
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 18:15:15 -0400

I've run into this a few times and I've never seen a solution.

Is there a way to specify a different compiler for compile-time helper
programs that are used during the build of a package?  Basically the
HOSTCC vs. Target CC that is implemented in the linux kernel tree for
cross compiles.

Or is there no way to override the compiler using automake for a single binary?
Or is the only way write explicit make targets without using
$(COMPILE) or $(LINK), and simply use 'gcc'?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,
mh

--
Martin Hicks P.Eng.      |         address@hidden
Bork Consulting Inc.     |   +1 (613) 266-2296