Re: Modify $PATH for all subdirectories

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: Modify $PATH for all subdirectories
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 09:51:28 -0700

"Too, Justin A." <address@hidden> writes:

> Can I define SOME_TEST in only one Makefile.am and make it available to
> all of the others? I have many Makefile.ams that require the SOME_TEST
> variable and I would prefer not having to define it in every Makefile.am
> individually. If I have it in one location, it provides me the flexibility
> to easily swap SOME_TEST = X or SOME_TEST = Y at a later stage if
> necessary.

If you want SOME_TEST defined everywhere automatically, you
should use configure.ac.  As an alternative you can create a file
of Makefile fragments and use the Automake "include" directive to
include that in each of your "Makefile.am"s.  Personally I prefer
the latter.  One sometimes-nice advantage is that modifying the
include file requires only rerunning Automake, which is faster
than rerunning Autoconf and Automake.
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org