Re: tar-pax or tar-ustar as a default for automake

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: tar-pax or tar-ustar as a default for automake
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 19:13:15 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 21 Jun 2011, Javier Jardón wrote:

I'd like to know if there is a plan to switch to tar-pax or tar-ustar
(seems that pax support is broken in openbsd) as a default tar format.
Currently we have some problem in GNOME project with some modules
because the limitations of the current tar format
I'd like to know if would be possible a change in the default so we
dont have to patch all the GNOME modules

Does automake depend on 'tar' being GNU tar? If it will use any old tar, then one would assume that it uses the default output format since otherwise it might not know how to request some other format variant. If it it used 'pax' then the output format can be certain.

Given the amount of time which has elapsed, trying to obtain at least 'ustar' format (from POSIX.1-1988) seems quite reasonable.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn