How do I make data depend on something?

From: Paul Elliott
Subject: How do I make data depend on something?
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 14:05:18 -0500

Here is an extract from my Makefile.am

> %.pdf : %.doc
>
>       unoconv --listener &
>       sleep 4
>       unoconv --stdout -f pdf $<   >  $@ || sleep 2 ;unoconv --stdout -f pdf
> $<
>        >  $@
>
> %.html : %.doc
>
>       unoconv --listener &
>       sleep 4
>       unoconv --stdout -f html $<   >  $@ || sleep 2 ;unoconv --stdout -f html
>       $<   >  $@
>
> html_DATA = swephprg.html  swisseph.html
> pdf_DATA = swephprg.pdf   swisseph.pdf
>

> swephprg_html_SOURCES = swephprg.doc
>
> swisseph_html_SOURCES = swisseph.doc
>
> swephprg_pdf_SOURCES = swephprg.doc
>
> swisseph_pdf_SOURCES = swisseph.doc

I define rules to create pdf from doc files and define dependancies with the
_SOURCES lines. But this gives the following errors:
> doc/Makefile.am:25: variable `swisseph_html_SOURCES' is defined but no
> program or doc/Makefile.am:25: library has `swisseph_html' as canonical
> name (possible typo) doc/Makefile.am:23: variable `swephprg_html_SOURCES'
> is defined but no program or doc/Makefile.am:23: library has
> `swephprg_html' as canonical name (possible typo) doc/Makefile.am:27:
> variable `swephprg_pdf_SOURCES' is defined but no program or
> doc/Makefile.am:27: library has `swephprg_pdf' as canonical name (possible
> typo) doc/Makefile.am:29: variable `swisseph_pdf_SOURCES' is defined but
> no program or doc/Makefile.am:29: library has `swisseph_pdf' as canonical
> name (possible typo)
I do not understand this is not html_DATA and pdf_DATA primaries? Are only
programs and libraries allowed to have dependacies?

How do I make the error messages go away and still build the pdf from the
docs?

Thank You.