Re: autoconf + automake support for MSVC

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: autoconf + automake support for MSVC
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2011 09:41:06 +0200

Hi Peter.

On Saturday 03 September 2011, Peter Rosin wrote:

> [BIG SNIP]
>
> I don't think cccl is the future, I see it as the past. It's
> simply not needed when the needed bits are already in 'compile'.
>
> It's a bit sad to see all the effort going into writing private
> scripts wrapping cl into something that looks like gcc, when the
> effort could be spent making autotools just work instead.

For what concerns this: are you willing to re-submit your patch
series about AM_PROG_AR to automake-patches?  I will try hard to
look into it, if you are willing to do the required testing and
to patiently explain to me the details I won't undertand (and
be warned that there will probably be many of them, since I'm a
total Windows noob).

Oh, also, before doing that, could you please merge the 'maint'
branch into the 'msvc' branch?  Or I can do that for you if you
prefer (but then you'll have to double-check that the merge has
been really successfull).

Thanks,
  Stefano