Re: autoconf + automake support for MSVC

From: Peter Rosin
Subject: Re: autoconf + automake support for MSVC
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2011 22:24:22 +0200

Den 2011-09-09 19:00 skrev Bruno Haible:
> Peter Rosin wrote:
>>> When configure.ac does not contain then AM_PROG_CC_C_O macro,
>>> what do you do? Add it manually? ...
>>
>> In that case, as stated above, you can just use compile/ar-lib as you'd
>> use cccl, the macros only trigger the use of the scripts when they are
>> needed (and the inclusion of the scripts in the package). If you know
>> that you need them it's not wrong to point to them from the start (as I
>> did for AR in above example configure invocation).
>
> Thanks for this advice. I am starting to build gnulib testdirs with
>
> $ ./configure --host=i586-pc-winnt --prefix=/usr/local/msvc \
>               CC="$HOME/msvc/compile cl -nologo" \
>               CFLAGS="-MD" \
>               CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/msvc/include" \
>               LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/msvc/lib" \
>               LD="link" \
>               NM="dumpbin -symbols" \
>               STRIP=":" \
>               AR="$HOME/msvc/ar-lib lib" \
>               RANLIB=":" \
>
> and at least configure runs fine and gives reasonable results. (Here
> $HOME/msvc/compile and $HOME/msvc/ar-lib are taken from the tip of the
> msvc branch in Automake.)
>
>> Libtool 2.4 should do
>
> How is that possible? Libtool contains special code for the platforms
>   cygwin*
>   mingw*
>   cegcc*
>   pw32*
>   interix*
> but none for
>   winnt*
> nor for
>   windows*
>
> I think the $host_os value winnt should be treated similarly to mingw32
> or pw32, no?

The platform name was discussed a few years back on the libtool lists (I
think somewhere in the gigantic thread "[patch #6448] [MSVC 7/7] Add MSVC
Support" from August 2008 approximately), the outcome was that compiling
with cl for the MS C runtimes uses the same triplet as compiling with
gcc for the MS C runtimes. I.e. *-*-mingw32.

So, just drop the --host argument. (if you run in an MSYS shell, which I
assume?)

Cheers,
Peter