Re: Soft link to installed binary

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: Soft link to installed binary
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 12:16:35 +0200

On Sunday 09 October 2011, amjad syed wrote:
> Hello

Hi amjad.

> I am new to automake so pardon me if this is very naive question.
>
> I am using Makefile.am and installing a shell script  in a location
> ($prefix/bin).
>
> Lets say the script is  called abc and is in $prefix/bin/abc
>
> Now i would like to create a soft link called /usr/bin/vrun to this
> script after installation.

OK, but be warned that installing stuff behind the user's back outside
the ${prefix} hierarchy is considered bad practice, and might annoy some
users (for instance, it would annoy me ;-)

> ln -sf does not allow me to do that in Makefile,am
>
> How can i do this in Makefile.am??

This section of automake manual should explain what you need to do:
 <http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/Extending.html>
(see in particular the examples on `install-exec-hook', near the end).
If something is unclear or confusing, let us know, so that we can
improve the documentation.

HTH,
  Stefano