Re: Manual merges.

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Manual merges.
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 11:52:08 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011, Stefano Lattarini wrote:

Should I perhaps file a bug that the ChangeLog file should be generated?

That would be a good idea in the long(ish) term.  In fact, I pesonally see
ChangeLogs as a relic of the pre-VCS era; they were surely VERY useful to
track regressions and bugs and backward-incompatibilites back then, but
today that we have the "real" project history in the VCS repo, and lots of
tools to view and analyze it, the ChangeLogs (as well as the GCS rules to
write them) are becoming more and more of a nuisance.

ChangeLogs may seem like a nuisance but many more people have access to source tarballs than network-based version control systems. It has been shown time and time again that version control systems come and go (or move) while the source code lives on.

It is typical that ChangeLog messages are considerably higher grade and more detailed than commit messages. However, the version control system also offers capabilities (e.g. change sets) that the ChangeLog does not offer.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn