Re: Could automake-generated Makefiles required GNU make? (was: Re: [gnu

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: Could automake-generated Makefiles required GNU make? (was: Re: [gnu-prog-discuss] portability)
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 21:26:58 +0100

I hadn't answered to this part of Nick's mail before, allow
me to do it now ...

On Tuesday 22 November 2011, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Nov 2011, Nick Bowler wrote:
> >
> > We must weigh the costs against the benefits.  It's currently not clear
> > to me what the benefits actually are, to anyone other than automake
> > maintainers.
> >
> > Currently, the benefits to automake maintainers is clear,

And these, as I've already said, are my main motivation.

> > there may be some benefit to package maintainers (hopefully by
> > making automake easier to use),

My hope is to manage, in the *long* run (real long), to turn automake
(or more precisely, its purpoted GNU-make-based successor, let's call
it "automire") into something *truly* extensible -- I mean, something
like autoconf-extensible.  This would be a huge win for the package
maintainers.

> > and there seems to be no benefit to users at all.

Regards,
  Stefano