Re: make dist-lzma and make dist-xz

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: make dist-lzma and make dist-xz
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 16:55:48 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 13 Dec 2011, Stefano Lattarini wrote:

I don't, but I have another consideration: since lzma seems to be supersed
by xz [1][2], couldn't we simply deprecate the `dist-lzma' option in this
11.1.2 version, and remove it altogether from the next major (or even minor)
version?  WDYT?

Once the feature is removed entirely, Automake will fail unless the Makefile.am file is edited. That might become really annoying if the automake user has no expecations of becoming a package maintainer. Another option is to silently (or with a warning) start producing xz files at some point if `dist-lzma' is still specified. The xz format is still lzma compressed so it is not a lie.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn