Re: allowing users to add source files without rerunning the autotools?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: allowing users to add source files without rerunning the autotools?
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 17:32:20 +0900

"Daily, Jeff A" <address@hidden> writes:
> Yes, all sources must be listed, AFAIK.  You could write your own build
> rules and targets for these files, which would be copied by automake into
> your eventual Makefile, but that somewhat defeats the purpose of using a
> build tool if you're writing many of the rules yourself.

Er, what?  I think automake actually does a pretty good job of making
custom rules painless and useful...

Even if you use some custom rules for a few files in a Makefile.am,
automake can still do about 99% of the heavy-lifting for a project.

Typically my approach is to put all the "funny" stuff in its own
library, and have the "normal" automake targets (99% of them) depend on
that, with a few custom rules to dispatch the building of "libfunny.a"
to its own Makefile or something (which can be generated separately by
configure if necessary).

-Miles

--
/\ /\