Re: [RCF] parallel-tests: removing the "check-html" target and the .log

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: [RCF] parallel-tests: removing the "check-html" target and the .log -> .html conversion?
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 20:08:30 +0100

On 01/08/2012 07:27 PM, Stefano Lattarini wrote:
> Reference:
>   <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake/2012-01/msg00005.html>
>
> On 01/05/2012 11:14 PM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
>> On Thu, 5 Jan 2012, Stefano Lattarini wrote:
>>>
>>> So, in conclusion, here is my simple proposal:
>>>
>>>  1. We deprecate the support for HTML testsuite output in the documentation
>>> of
>>>     the 1.11.3 release.
>>>
>>>  2. In the 1.12 release, we remove it from the automake core, providing
>>> instead
>>>     (in the automake tarball) an "extra" `.am' fragment that can offer a
>>> similar
>>>     (and hopefully completely equivalent) functionality.
>>>
>>> Opinions?
>>
>> I am a fan of reStructuredText and rst2html but definitely agree that this
>> functionality does not need to be in the core of Automake and that there only
>> needs to be sufficient provision to hook in some formatting tool to produce
>> alternate output formats.
>>
> Thanks for the feedback.  Let's start deprecating the feature in the
> documentation then.  I'll push the attached patch by tomorrow evening
> if there is no objection.

I've now pushed the patch to the new *rewindable* branch:

  experimental/check-html-deprecate

to be eventually merged into maint.  Further patches should follow shortly.
I will post them (together with this a copy of the already-posted patch, for
completeness) in a new thread on the automake-patches list.

Regards,
  Stefano