Re: Automake 1.11.2b test release

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: Automake 1.11.2b test release
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 13:23:22 -0700

On 01/27/2012 01:08 PM, NightStrike wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 1:47 AM, Ralf Corsepius
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>   - The support for the "obscure" multilib feature has been deprecated,
>>>     and will be moved out of the automake core in the next major Automake
>>>     release (1.12).
>>
>> Bummer - Please reconsider this and understand that politliness prohibits me
>> to furtherly comment on this.
>
> Seconded.

Moving multilib files out of the core does not mean that it is being
permanently broken, it only means that you have to start pulling in the
contrib directory if you want to use multilib.  That is, we're not
killing the feature entirely, we're only splitting it out of automake
proper into its own project, where it will hopefully get more attention
than what the current level it is getting while embedded in automake.
Re-read the list where we discussed this - gcc is doing a better
maintenance job of multilib support in the first place, so this move is
intended to point you towards the better-maintained source in the first
place.

--
Eric Blake   address@hidden    +1-919-301-3266