Re: pkglibdir, pkgdatadir and program_transform_name

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: pkglibdir, pkgdatadir and program_transform_name
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 07:11:20 -0700

On 02/27/2012 02:37 AM, Miles Bader wrote:
> Stefano Lattarini <address@hidden> writes:
>> Any transformation of a $(pkg*dir) by $(program_transform_name)
>> would be a bug; if you encounter such an issue, I'd be grateful if
>> you report it.
>>
>> But I'm pretty sure the inconsistency you are seeing here is due to
>> another reasons (maybe some Makefile.am or configure.ac settings
>> you're missing?)
>
> When I was googling earlier (due to this same thread on the autoconf
> mailing list), I found patches to automake to _implement_ such a
> transformation posted to the grub mailing list... so maybe it's a
> modified version of automake.

I think it's worth pursuing a patch to the GNU Coding Standards that
allows a standardized configure option that allows one to specify an
alternate package name, so that things like $(pkglibdir) become
$(libdir)/$(alternate_package_name) - precisely because of situations
like grub vs. grub2 where there are two versions of the same package
'grub' but which are worth installing in parallel.  Allowing distro
package managers to install the two versions side-by-side by way of a
new standardized configure option for specifying the alternate package
name of the second installation, and then adding automake and/or
autoconf support for providing configure support for an alternate
package name, seems like it would be worthwhile for more than just grub.

--
Eric Blake   address@hidden    +1-919-301-3266