Re: [rfc] Antimake

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: [rfc] Antimake
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 08:54:00 +0100

Hi Marko.

On 03/09/2012 11:26 PM, Marko Kreen wrote:

> Antimake is my attempt to fix "no good build system" problem -
> GNU Make library, but instead inventing custom conventions,
> it implements Automake syntax.

JFTR, we've recently started a (low-priority) fork of Automake aimed at
taking more advantage of GNU make features, with the hope of simplifying
Automake and make it more manageable for both users and maintainers:

<http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=automake.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/ng/master>

Can I ask with what license are you distributing your project?  If it's
GPL-compatible, I'd be very happy to re-use some your code in Automake-NG
(assuming they are not too radically different) ...

Anyway, I'm glad I'm not the only one interested in the "let's just require
GNU make and live happily" approach!

> Example:
>
>   bin_PROGRAMS = hello
>   hello_SOURCES = hello.c
>   include antimake.mk
>
> After writing such Makefile, you can run 'make' immediately,
> no need for ./configure or Makefile rebuild.
>
> Links
> -----
>
> Doc:    http://libusual.github.com/mk/antimake.html
> Demos:  http://libusual.github.com/mk/
> Source: https://github.com/libusual/libusual/blob/master/mk/antimake.mk
> GIT:    git://github.com/libusual/libusual.git
>
> Comments, flames?

I will surely take a better look when I have more time.

Regards,
  Stefano