Re: should an empty "pkgdata_DATA" cause creation of $(pkgdatadir) by "m

From: Robert Boehne
Subject: Re: should an empty "pkgdata_DATA" cause creation of $(pkgdatadir) by "make install"?
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 09:55:56 -0500

 On 03/13/12 07:30, Stefano Lattarini wrote:
[CC:ing Ralf, as I'd like to hear his opinion here]

Reference:
  <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnulib/2012-03/msg00078.html>

On 03/13/2012 01:14 PM, Stefano Lattarini wrote:
Now that I think about it, I'm not sure whether it was done "by design" from
the beginning,

And I also missed Ralf's answer here:

  <http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.gsasl.general/52>

So we're in a sort of a tie here: some users think that the current Automake
behaviour is a feature (and I lean toward that position), other ones (with
Ralf among them, apparently) believe it's a bug.  Hmmm.  What now?

Regards,
   Stefano

I would agree with the "feature" camp. Users should be able to create an empty $(pkgdatadir) - suppose that empty directory is populated by other methods. They should also be able to not create $(pkgdatadir) as well as a non-empty $(pkgdatadir).

IMHO - whether this was by design or by accident isn't important. What's more important is that the behavior is intuitive, and this behavior (to me) is intuitive.

Robert Boehne