Re: automake 1.11.3 check-TESTS and command line length

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: automake 1.11.3 check-TESTS and command line length
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 12:15:02 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012, Stefano Lattarini wrote:

Are you referring to the GraphicsMagick testsuite?  If yes, it seems to me
that it could benefit greatly from the use of TAP once automake 1.12 is out;
for example, all the 314 'tests/rwfile*.sh' tests could be rewritten as one
single TAP test (and similarly for many other auto-generated tests), thus
removing the need for a huge number of files without reducing granularity
of the results.

I took a look at what "TAP" is and see that I have already been using it already (not knowing what it was called) for Perl-related tests. The fundamental problem with TAP is that documented implementations (http://testanything.org/wiki/index.php/TAP_Consumers) require additional packages on the system such as Perl, Ruby, Javascript, Java, etc. I can not expect users who want to verify their build with 'make check' to install an additional language interpreter.

It seems that (while I was sleeping) Automake 1.12 will be providing support for TAP tests (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake/2011-04/msg00069.html). Such support will not be worthwhile if it depends on Perl or some other interpreter since this might not be installed on the end-user's machine. If it is based on portable C (e.g. http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/c-tap-harness/) or portable shell script then it will be sufficiently usable.

So what is the story about TAP in Automake 1.12? Is it time to describe the new feature to us mere mortals (i.e. people on address@hidden) rather than Automake developers?

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn