Re: TAP support in automake

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: TAP support in automake
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 20:10:37 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012, Russ Allbery wrote:

Bob Friesenhahn <address@hidden> writes:

Ok, now I hear that there are still log files similar to parallel-tests
(presumably using the identical facility).  It does not seem that Russ's
C TAP Harness offers this quite wonderful feature since the instructions
advise to re-run just the one test to see more verbose output (similar
to what I have experienced from perl).

Correct; my harness program doesn't currently have a way of storing log
files.  (Added to TODO.)

Regardless, I will likely use your 'runtests' test driver as a way to explore converting some of my test scripts to TAP since Automake 1.12 is not released yet. I will start with tests which have little need for log files.

Viewed in that light, TAP doesn't really reduce parallelism.  prove, the
Perl driver, supports running all the TAP tests in parallel, for example.

Automake already has support for parallelism. The quality of the parallelism depends on how "lumpy" the various TAP tests become. If some are very fast and others take a very long time, then the slowest tests will tend to dominate the time. Listing the slowests tests first helps.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn