Re: bug#11034: Binutils, GDB, GCC and Automake's 'cygnus' option

From: Joern Rennecke
Subject: Re: bug#11034: Binutils, GDB, GCC and Automake's 'cygnus' option
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 04:22:40 -0400

Quoting Stefano Lattarini <address@hidden>:

By looking at the 'handle_texinfo_helper' function in the automake script,
I suspect adding a new Automake option 'info-in-builddir' (say) and an
handful of lines to the automake script might be enough to give you an easy
way to force the '.info' files to be generated in the builddir.  But before
doing so, I'd like to understand why you want so strongly to support such
a setup.

It is quite common during development / testing to build multiple
configurations simultaneously from the same sources, with separate
make processes.  Writing to the source directory would cause disastrous
race conditions.