recheck not dependent on all:

From: Peter Johansson
Subject: recheck not dependent on all:
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 17:02:01 +1000

Hello,

I find the recheck target very handy. In most projects we have a recursive structure and added a

recheck: all
    (cd test && make $@)

in top_dir. And typically I work like

edit sources
make recheck VERBOSE=1 -j8
edit source
etc

which works very nice. Now I've started to work in a project with non-recursive Makefile and I tried working the same fashion but got very confused until I realized recheck does not depend on all, so my changes in source did not affect the test result unless i did

make all -j8 && make recheck VERBOSE=1 -j8

I'm just curious; why isn't 'recheck' automatically doing that for me in the same fashion as 'check' depends on 'all'.

Cheers,
Peter