Re: Don't distribute auto*tools output; do distribute autoreconf input

From: Ralf Corsepius
Subject: Re: Don't distribute auto*tools output; do distribute autoreconf input
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 08:37:19 +0200

On 05/10/2012 09:14 PM, Paul Elliott wrote:

I want the people that receive my tarball to do autoreconf. Their system's
autoconf-archive may be more up-to date than mine.
This is a pretty questionable approach.

In particular, this way,
* you are forcing your users to install sufficiently compatible versions of the autotools and their requirements. This can be a tedious or close to impossible task on some systems and carries quite significant risks to a user's installation.

* you are exposing your users to the risks of incompatiblities between the autotools and their infrastructure and your autotool based configuration files.

You might not like it, but everybody who is maintaining "less than trivial" autotool based configurations knows that each autotool release is (sometimes deliberately some times accidentially) to some extend incompatible to its predecessors, which in practice means "autoreconf'ing" with different versions comes with a non-neglibile risk at breaking something.

To cut a long story short: What you are trying to do is against the spirit of the autotools. I recommend to avoid it.