Re: How to leave space for the lib path

From: baxy77bax
Subject: Re: How to leave space for the lib path
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 02:18:21 -0700 (PDT)

Nick Bowler-3 wrote:

> Hello bax77bax,
>
> On 2012-05-16 09:39 -0700, baxy77bax wrote:
>> I am learning to use automake tool to create my make files. and what i
>> have
>> seen from the examples on the net you can while creating the configure
>> file
>> somehow let some library paths unspecified and then specify them when
>> running
>>
>> ./config --with-libget-prefix=/....
>
> Common convention is for configure scripts to be named "configure", but
> that is likely not related to your problem...
>
>> Now when i create my Makefile.in and my configure.ac files and then build
>> them:
>>
>> aclocal
>> configure.ac:62: warning: macro `AM_PATH_LIBGET' not found in library
>
> Here aclocal has detected a call to a macro called AM_PATH_LIBGET but
> cannot find a definition for it.  First note that you should not define
> macros starting with AM_ to avoid conflicts with Automake.  Regardless,
> you probably just need to tell aclocal where to find your macro
> definition, e.g. by passing an appropriate -I option to the tool.
>
>> autoconfig
>
> There is no "autoconfig" command as part of the GNU build system that
> I'm aware of, so I'm afraid I cannot help you with this.
>
>> i get the configuration script but no option to specify the path or the
>> prefix to my libget library. Since I'm confused now please be patient
>> with
>> me. I have to figure this out quickly and that is why i'm rushing into
>> this
>> without first reading all the relevant literature.
>
> Haste is not a prudent course of action when dealing with the sort of
> problems that arise from working with computers.  Take your time.
>
> If you still cannot solve your problem, please provide a complete,
> small test case that demonstrates your issue, including *all* your
> input (configure.ac, Makefile.am, etc.), explaining precisely how
> the behaviour differs from what's expected.  It's also a good idea
> to include which versions of autoconf and automake you are using.
>
> Hope that helps,
> --
> Nick Bowler, Elliptic Technologies (http://www.elliptictech.com/)

ok, so I've seen this example , it is a bit complicated but illustrates what
i need:

Example:

Makefile.am http://old.nabble.com/file/p33863049/Makefile.am Makefile.am
configure.ac http://old.nabble.com/file/p33863049/configure.ac configure.ac

and when they build theri configure file they get :
http://old.nabble.com/file/p33863049/configure1 configure1
and i get  http://old.nabble.com/file/p33863049/configure configure

in their configure file (configure1) they have extra options like:

Optional Features:
  --disable-option-checking  ignore unrecognized --enable/--with options
  --disable-FEATURE       do not include FEATURE (same as
--enable-FEATURE=no)
  --enable-FEATURE[=ARG]  include FEATURE [ARG=yes]
  --enable-silent-rules          less verbose build output (undo: `make
V=1')
  --disable-silent-rules         verbose build output (undo: `make V=0')
  --disable-dependency-tracking  speeds up one-time build
  --enable-dependency-tracking   do not reject slow dependency extractors
  --enable-debug          build debug version (default=no)
  --enable-threads        use POSIX threads
  --disable-rpath         do not hardcode runtime library paths
  --enable-memprof        build with memory profiling enabled (default=no);
                          please note that this option must be set if and
only
                          if it has been set in your libfid installation

Optional Packages:
  --with-PACKAGE[=ARG]    use PACKAGE [ARG=yes]
  --without-PACKAGE       do not use PACKAGE (same as --with-PACKAGE=no)
  --with-doxygen-output   directory for Doxygen generated documentation
                          (default: doc)
  --with-libfid-prefix=PREFIX
                          prefix to libfid
  --with-libfid-libdir=PATH
                          path to libfid libraries (PREFIX/lib)
  --with-libfid-includedir=PATH
                          path to libfid headers (PREFIX/include/libfid)
  --with-gnu-ld           assume the C compiler uses GNU ld default=no

 whereas I do not have them if i build everything using their files. so my
question is how to get those extra options? where are they defined? Because
i have this library called libget that i wish to install in a specific
location and through 'configure' i wish to specify where that location is.
Is the extra information located somewhere else ??

And Yes I know, after this i'll most definitly take some time to figure out
the automake. but for now i am just hijacking peaces of code to make
everything be at least presentable. (i invested too much time into writing
the code thinking that i could hack my way through the automake :( , which
as usually bit me in th a...)

cheers

baxy